Every work environment has conflict. Teaching every employee to transform conflict can be one of the greatest cost saving, drama reducing, and culture building investments an organization can make. Conflict often can’t be avoided but it can almost always be the catalyst for collaboration.
In this course, participants begin by recognizing the causes of conflict. Whether personality type, behavior, or miscommunication spark the tension, conflict causes a stress reaction. When we are stressed, we don’t think. The foundational skill in conflict resolution is observing our reaction to conflict and assessing the reactions of others. Responding to conflict then begins with the ability to step back. Resolving conflict demands intentional communication skills that build stronger relationships and trust. The final stage is choosing the approach that will give the most time back to the business. Conflict wastes time and energy, but it doesn’t have to. This course will strengthen a participant’s capacity to:
- Notice the causes of conflict before they escalate
- Assess reactions in meetings, teams, and a culture
- Pay attention to what they can immediately do in every situation to mediate conflict
- Transform tense moments through intentional communication skills
- Apply the framework of recognize, respond, and resolve in mild and extreme conflict
Learners leave the program aware of the causes and options in conflict and the compassionate, intentional ways to deal with difficult people and situations. The course is based in part on the research and techniques in the bestselling book Mastering Communication at Work.
The target audience is any participant who routinely deals with and tries to resolve conflict. The value of this course to participants and to organization as a whole are:
- Appreciation of the different ways colleagues handle conflict
- Skills that make every interaction and meeting more efficient
- A more innovative team because people say what they really think and feel
- A culture of collaboration where disagreement leads to better solutions