Participants learn how to craft compelling sales stories to be used throughout the entire sales process, from introducing yourself to buyers, to building rapport, making the sales pitch, resolving objections, negotiating price, closing the sale, and service after the sale.
The research behind Paul Smith’s book Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale is the basis for this program. This includes interviews with sales and procurement leaders at over 50 companies, including Microsoft, Costco, Xerox, Abercrombie & Fitch, HP, Kroger, Huntington Bank, and others.
In class, participants will discover 1) what a sales story is and is not, 2) the 25 stories all salespeople need, and 3) how to craft sales stories for maximum impact. Specifically, participants will learn techniques for:
- How to choose the right story
- Proper story structure
- The proper use of emotion, surprise, dialogue, details, and length
- Telling stories with data
- Where to find great stories
The course consists of instructor-introduced concepts, practical application exercises, and supporting materials. The course includes:
- Extensive, in-depth instructor videos to guide you through the content
- A downloadable course guide of slides to help you follow the instruction
- A downloadable workbook to apply the method as you take the course
- Exercises, quizzes, and case examples to help you apply the method as you learn it
Duration: 3 hours (Approximately 120 minutes of video lessons and 60 minutes of exercises)
Access Period: You will have access to this course for one year from the time of purchase
The target audience for this course consists of any individual with sales responsibilities – from the front-line salesperson to the senior-most seller in the organization. Whether the sale is small and transactional or big and complex, these storytelling skills will improve your salespeople’s performance.
The value of this course to the participants and to the organization as a whole are:
- More effective salespeople who quickly establish deep connections with prospects and customers
- Higher close rates and win rates due to these improved relationships
- A more confident sales force that can meet your organization’s goals
The Instructor: Paul Smith
Paul Smith is a principal at thoughtLEADERS. He is a former consultant with Accenture and more recently an executive at The Procter & Gamble Company. He is an internationally popular speaker and trainer in leadership and storytelling techniques. Paul is the author of the bestselling book Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire. He’s also written the bestselling Sell with a Story: How to Capture Attention, Build Trust, and Close the Sale and The 10 Stories Great Leaders Tell. Paul holds a bachelors degree in economics, and an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.