Our reader poll today asks: How prevalent is scope creep in your organization?
– Not at all. We manage scope very tightly and effectively: 4.27%
– A little. We occasionally face scope creep but it’s not too bad: 20.22%
– Moderate. We get scope right about half the time: 28.54%
– A lot. More often than not we increase scope: 32.51%
– Rampant. Scope has little meaning or rigor for us: 14.16%
Scope is out of control: More than 45% are reporting a pretty big problem where there’s either a lot of creep or that creep is rampant. Your job as a leader isn’t to manage the project itself — your job is to keep it under control. I’ve previously discussed managing scope in this post, and it includes guidance on setting clear boundaries, expanding scope in controlled steps and rigorously managing priorities. If you do so, you have a much better chance of keeping your project on track and meeting its objectives.
Do you agree with these poll results? Let us know in the comments below!
Did you enjoy this post? If so, I highly encourage you to take about 30 seconds to become a regular subscriber to this blog. It’s free, fun, practical, and only a few emails a week (I promise!). SIGN UP HERE to get the thoughtLEADERS blog conveniently delivered right to your inbox!