| Aspects of Leadership Applicable to This Course
In this program, our instructors teach participants how to craft compelling business stories that resonate with their audience to drive people to action, set a vision, lead change, sell your ideas, inspire your team, or foster more creativity and innovation. Paul Smith’s bestselling book Lead With a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire serves as the basis for this program.
In class, participants learn:
- WHY storytelling works to sway an audience of 1 or 1,000
- WHEN to tell stories (and when not to)
- HOW to craft compelling business stories
After class, participants complete a 6-month storytelling practice program that includes 12 bi-weekly learning and practice modules. Each module includes a new and insightful question to prompt the participant to identify, craft, and tell a new story, as well as a deeper dive into one of the 18 critical story skills learned in class.
The ‘how to’ modules include: story structure, metaphors, emotion, realism, surprise, style, plus how to let your audience take part in your story – not just hear it told.
Bring a story to class. You’ll need it. Throughout the course, participants are challenged with exercises and follow a simple story assessment scorecard and roadmap to more effective stories. Plus you’ll be highly engaged with inspiring stories from dozens of CEOs and executives at successful companies around the world who were interviewed in preparation of the book and this course.
The target audience for this course consists of individuals in analytical or persuasive roles at mid- to senior levels of corporations (e.g., analysts, managers, mid- and senior-level executives). The value of this course to the participants and to the organization as a whole are:
- An ability to create messages fueled by stories to advance their business goals
- Quicker audience connections by addressing their concerns and pain points
- Increased confidence in storytelling which reduces over-reliance on excessive data thereby saving time and money
- Clearer communications leading to more efficient and effective decision making and reduced decision making time
Please contact us to arrange for this course to be trained at your organization.
Hear Paul Smith discuss how to use storytelling to set a vision and get access to the online video version of Introduction to Storytelling on lynda.com (with a 7-day Free Trial to the service):
Here are some thoughts from past participants in the program:
- “One of the most enlightening four hours of my life! Fantastic examples made it real. It didn’t seem like training but rather a conversation.”
- “Honestly one of the most inspirational and engaging trainings I’ve ever had!”