Our reader poll today asks: How strongly do your organization’s leaders support training for their teams?
- We mandate training, attend it ourselves and support it afterward: 39%
- We send people and sometimes expect them to use what they learn: 27%
- People have to fight to get trained and they get little support: 20%
- We don’t send people to any sort of training: 7%
- We send people but model the exact opposite behaviors we expect: 6%
Sending someone to training but not attending yourself or expecting your people to use the tools they’re trained on is a waste of time. It sends the wrong message. If you truly believe “people are our most important resource,” then when you invest in them you need to demonstrate that you’re serious about the investment. If you’re going to invest in your people, cultivate that investment with the support of your time, attention, and encouragement.
Do you agree with these poll results? Let us know in the comments below!
Did you enjoy this post? If so, I highly encourage you to take about 30 seconds to become a regular subscriber to this blog. It’s free, fun, practical, and only a few emails a week (I promise!). SIGN UP HERE to get the thoughtLEADERS blog conveniently delivered right to your inbox!
These results were originally a SmartPulse poll in SmartBrief on Leadership which tracks feedback from more than 190,000 business leaders. Get smarter on leadership and sign up for the SmartBrief on Leadership e-newsletter.