No matter what your job title is or what industry you work in, ongoing training is essential to your continued career growth. While you may be an expert at your current job or in a particular area, continuing education can help prepare you for a variety of experiences and help you land more opportunities.
If you’re not yet completely sold on the idea of getting more career training, here are ten excellent reasons to help you understand its importance:
1. Enhanced skills. At the root of continuing education is the desire to improve job skills. People come into the business world from a variety of different backgrounds, and ongoing training gives employees the chance to pick up abilities that they may have missed in their formal education. On a personal level, you may find that you lack specific marketing skills, for example, or that you wish to improve your leadership abilities. Continuing education, whether through in-house training, seminars, or professional organizations, gives you a chance to round out your skill set.
2. Job security. Employers retain those employees who can demonstrate continued value to the company. You should continually look for ways to improve your performance in your current position as well as opportunities to take on new responsibilities. Getting more education can help you gain the skills you need to be ready for changes at your organization or in the industry.
3. More options. More education will give you more and better options for advancement at your organization or changing careers. On average, employees change jobs or careers more than 10 times by the time they’re 40. Improving your educational outlook can help you become eligible for promotions and make you more attractive to potential employers.
4. Improved adaptability. Today’s job market is highly volatile. If you concentrate on developing skills that are useful in more than one industry, you will be prepared for changes that may occur in your organization or in your field.
5. More success. Continuing education usually leads to more professional success. Those who take the time to improve their skills find generally find that they can go further than those who don’t.
6. Higher satisfaction. Contrary to what you may expect, employees who participate in ongoing job training report higher levels of job satisfaction in their current position and stay with their employers longer than those without this opportunity. In fact, the availability of continuing education plays a large role in employee retention. If you want to be happier at your job, then, you may want to consider undergoing more training.
7. Increased income. Along with all the opportunities for advancement and growth comes the potential for a bigger paycheck. Career advancement and promotions usually come with a higher salary along with them.
8. Continued development. Even if you are content to stay in your current position for the foreseeable future, ongoing training is important. Make sure that your knowledge of industry trends and best practices are up-to-date so that you can continue to perform your responsibilities at a high level.
Ongoing job training is absolutely vital for your continued career success. What are your reasons for enrolling in continuing education?
- Tim Hoff works for American Trainco in various roles including marketing, writing and assuring that training instruction is of the highest quality. A market leader within the training industry Trainco provides various training courses (electrical, HVAC, plant management, etc.) across North America.